Playing online games with friends is one of the most fun things a gamer can do. Playing scary or horror games with your friends via multiplayer games is even better. You get to share the experience with someone, and you get some help with whatever it is you are doing. It also doesn’t hurt that you could probably blow each other up if you want to joke around, like on Grand Theft Auto V. Playing with friends can also be crucial when playing a horror game since people typically don’t want to go through scary things by themselves. I know when I see a scary movie I have to watch it with someone else so I don’t get too freaked out. Check out this article to see the top 5 best scary multiplayer games.
Single Player Scary Games
There are a lot of single player horror games and they are getting more and more popular. Playing a game by yourself is scarier than playing with friends, primarily because there is nothing to cut the tension. Alien: Isolation is a single player game that had me terrified (which doesn’t happen often). Before we go over some terrifying multiplayer games, let’s very quickly go over some good scary single player games:
- Dead Space
- Most people have, at least, heard about the Dead Space series, where you are up in space and come across terrifying aliens who are trying to kill you at every turn. This game has a very scary atmosphere and has plenty of good jump scares. This series is available on the PC and consoles.
- Outlast is possibly one of the scariest games I have ever played. It is essentially a found footage game where you are investigating a creepy asylum. There are quite a few good jump scares, and the atmosphere is perfect for a horror game. Definitely check this game out if you are a found footage fan.
- Alien: Isolation
- This game is directly tied into the Alien movie series, featuring Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley. Well in Alien: Isolation you play as Ripley’s daughter, Amanda Ripley. Xenomorphs get on board your ship and you have to escape. You can find out more information for the Alien movies, and it provides a really good background story. If you like the Alien movies you definitely need to check out this horror game.
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- This is the matriarch of the horror game genre. Amnesia is an incredibly fun and scary game, and I do think every gamer needs to play this game at some point in their lifetime. It is scary, the story is awesome, and I love the exploration aspect of this game. If you are a gamer, then check out Amnesia.
- This is a psychological, thriller, horror game. There are a few twists that you may not expect, and is also decently creepy. The atmosphere is absolutely perfect. The graphics are gorgeous, and it is very visually appealing. Definitely check this game out, you won’t regret it.
- Until Dawn
- This is a pretty cool game about a group of friends who go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere, which no scary movie has ever been about. You play as all the characters and the goal is to not only escape, but to save all of your friends and not let anyone die. It is a fun game with plenty of actors you may actually recognize.
- This is one of my all-time favorite games, and it is pretty damn creepy. You hunt down and follow a little girl named Alma, who is sort of a ghost and more of a supernatural creepy chick. The game is legitimately scary (to me at least) and they don’t always rely on jump scares to scare you. If you are a fan of anything scary definitely do yourself a favor and check this game out.
- Slender: The Arrival
- This game provides quite a bit of background information for the Slenderman games. This is a game where you investigate different places searching for notes that give you some information about the origins of Slenderman. If you are a fan of the Slenderman games or lore, check this game out for a little background info.
- Slender: The Eight Pages
- This is the original Slender game where you wander around spooky woods looking for 8 pages while the slenderman stalks you. The gameplay is definitely creepy when you turn around and Slendy is right in front of you. This is a very short game, but it is worth it to download and install it (it’s free!).
- Resident Evil 7
- This is the most recent game on this list. This Resident Evil is basically a first person shooter where you investigate the mystery of your missing wife. There are a bunch of jump scares and plain creepy stuff (including lots of spiders). This recently came out and is already on its way to becoming one of the scariest horror games available.
Scary Multiplayer Games
While single player horror games are fun, multiplayer horror games can be scarier than single player games. You can feed off your friends’ fear and can either scare them yourself or get that sense of fear yourself. Here are some of the best multiplayer horror games:
Cry of Fear
You can buy Cry of Fear from Steam for free (can be found here). It has great reviews, with 87% of the 19,250 reviews being positive. This game was originally a Half-Life 1 mod that was actually turned into its own game.
This game has both a single player campaign, as well as a co-op mode so you can play with your friends (up to 4 people can co-op) or by yourself. When you play the co-op mode you and your friends play as cops and actually interfere with the character in the single player campaign. You get attacked and have to kill monsters and search for the main character, Simon. There are plenty of jump scares, and Simon interacts randomly by screaming creepy stuff.
Players can revive each other and help each other out, but if everyone dies then you have to restart the whole map over, so caution is a big factor in the game. This game is totally free, so there is no reason to not at least try it out.
Dead Space 3
This game is the third installment of the Dead Space series. This is the first Dead Space game where you can co op with a friend, making it just a little more awesome. What’s cool is that playing the campaign through co-op unlocks a little more story and secrets, allowing you to understand the story more. One player plays as Isaac Clarke, the protagonist of the series, and the second player plays as a new guy, John Carver. The co op only stories unlocks more background and gives more information about Carver, which adds a little more to the story line.
As with the other Dead Space games you battle mean aliens and try to survive. If you play the single player campaign you will hardly see anything about Carver, making him basically a co op only character. If you enjoyed any of the previous Dead Space games then definitely give Dead Space 3 a look.
You can get Dead Realm on Steam for $15 found here. The game has mostly positive reviews, with 71% of the 4,282 total reviews are positive. This game is in early access, so it certainly isn’t perfect just yet.
Dead Realm is a multiplayer game where there is an evil ghost baby that hunts and kills survivors. The survivors then joins the dead’s team and tries to find all the remaining survivors. Think of it like hide ‘n seek. There is one seeker, but once they find someone and tags them they start seeking other hiders. The baby and ghosts can become invisible to help chase down the survivors, which gets terrifying once you turn around to a creepy dead baby.
The survivors can set traps to confuse the baby and ghosts. the game is really fun but is also pretty damn creepy.
Dead by Daylight
You can get this awesome game on Steam for $20 found here. The game has mostly positive reviews, with 71% of 66,283 total reviews being positive.
This is one of my favorite games to play at the moment. There are two teams; the survivors, who have to repair generators to escape, and the killer/monster, who tries to kill all the survivors. You can choose to either be a monster or you can choose to be a survivor, and it is incredibly fun to play with friends. You can level your characters up, and make your killer even more deadly. One of the coolest killers in the game is Michael Myers, the creep from the Halloween movies because you actually get to be him.
This game is awesome with friends and I highly recommend it for any horror movie fan, like myself.
You can get white Noise Online on Steam for $5 found here. This game does have mixed reviews, with 61% of the total 448 reviews are positive. But don’t let that sway you.
This game is almost like a multiplayer Slenderman. You and your friends search for tapes while a monster tracks you down to kill you. The monster has traps and can teleport around the map to find you, but cannot go into the light, so the survivors can try to stay illuminated to survive. The game is fun to play with friends, and honestly has great ideas about being a solid horror game, they just need top make some slight tweaks to the gameplay.