There has never been as much information and as many different websites. Whereas many people would stick to visiting the same bunch of websites all the time, others can visit hundreds of them regularly. Whatever your own personal preferences, the fact is that most of us need a way to organize the sites we visit. This is why all the different web browsers available have bookmarks systems that allow users to organize their Internet browsing. Without a doubt two of the most popular and most widely used Internet browsers are Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
In this article we will explain how to can manage your bookmarks both in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Whether you just want to keep all your bookmarks in the same location, create different folders, edit them, delete them, etc. Anything that you would want to do with your Internet bookmarks, we will explain in this tutorial.
Because Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are quite different, we will approach their bookmark managers separately. We will start with Google Chrome before moving on to Firefox. That way, if you use Google Chrome you can go straight into the Chrome section of this tutorial for your guide on how to use it and make the most of it and, if you use Mozilla Firefox, you can do the same thing by going to the Mozilla Firefox section and skip over the information about Chrome.
“Technology is either a curse or a blessing depends on how we use it.”
― Harrish Sairaman
Google Chrome Bookmark Manager
Chrome allows you to edit delete and organize your bookmarks any way you would want to. In this section we will tackle all three actions in as clear manner as possible.
How to Edit your Bookmark Details on Chrome
In order to edit your bookmark details, you will need to follow these steps:
- Form your computer, launch the Chrome web browser. If you have a PC and you do not have a shortcut for Firefox on your desktop, then look into your Windows start menu. If, however, you have a Mac computer and do not have Chrome on your dock, then look into your applications folder.
- Once you have managed to successfully launch Chrome, the simply look at the upper right hand corner of the Chrome browser toolbar until you find the Menu or the more icon, and click on either of them.
- From all the different options, select bookmarks and then bookmark manager.
- Find the bookmark you would like to edit and hover over it. There will be a drop-down arrow for you to click on.
- Click on the edit button and you will be able to change the name or the address of the bookmark in question.
In order to delete a bookmark, follow the same steps as the ones you need to follow to edit, but instead of click on the delete button at the end. If you would like to delete several bookmarks at the same time, then once you are in the bookmark manager, hold down the shift key while you click on the bookmarks that you would like to get rid of and then at the end click on the delete button.
Finally, in order to organize your folders, follow these steps:
- Look at the upper right hand corner of the Chrome browser toolbar until you find the Menu or the more icon, and click on either of them.
- From all the different options, select bookmarks and then bookmark manager.
- Browse until you find the folder you wish to organize in order.
- Then, simply click on the “organize” button.
- And, finally, click on “reorder by title”.
If you wish to create a new bookmark folder, follow the same steps but click on “add folder” instead of on “organize”. But if deleting a specific bookmark folder is what you are after then, instead of “add folder” or “organize”, you will need to click on “delete”. You will be able to delete just one folder or several at the same time.
Mozilla Firefox Bookmark Manager
What follows is a step-by-step guide of what you will need to do in order to manage or organize your bookmarks on Firefox.
- From your computer, launch the Firefox web browser. If you have a PC and you do not have a shortcut for Firefox on your desktop, then look into your Windows start menu. If, however, you have a Mac computer and do not have Firefox on your dock, then look into your applications folder.
- Once you have managed to successfully launch Mozilla Firefox, then simply look at the tool bar located on the top of your screen until you have found the bookmarks menu and click on it. This will display a list of options.
- You will be presented with three different icons: one for bookmarks toolbar, another one for the bookmarks menu, and finally one for unsorted bookmarks. This is what each of them do: the bookmarks toolbar is basically the list of your bookmarks that displays across the top of the Firefox web browser. This toolbar will display the names of the websites you visit most often. This way you can just click on them when you need them, so it is very handy. The bookmarks menu has an even bigger selection of the web sites you visit regularly. Finally the unsorted bookmarks contain the full list of bookmarks that you have not organized into other bookmarks lists.
- To add any site to your bookmarks, all you will need to know is to visit the website in question and the click on the star icon next to the search bar. This will then allow you to decide where you would like to add the bookmark: bookmark toolbar, bookmarks menu, or unsorted bookmarks.
How to Add New Bookmarks to your Bookmarks Toolbar?
Adding new bookmarks to your bookmarks toolbar could not be any easier. You will need to decide on what are the main bookmarks you would like to have access to. A productive way of thinking about this is to look at what sites you visit on a daily basis and stick to that. Ideally you will stick to about 5 bookmarks but you can add more if necessary. Here are the very simple steps you will need to follow in order to do this:
- Once you have saved all your bookmarks select 5 or more among the ones that you visit constantly. Do not select too many or adding them to the Bookmarks toolbar will not make any sense and will not be an effective solution at all.
- Drag those 5 or so bookmarks into the bookmarks toolbar. You can then add folders to organize this even further. How you organize this is entirely up to you but it is worth spending some time on it. The point is that you organize your bookmarks in the most efficient and sensible way so that you will be able to save time when visiting the sites. So, adding folders is just an alternative, you can just drag your bookmarks into the toolbar is that is going to be easier for you.
- If you need to check out all your bookmarks then the thing to so is to click on the “open all in tabs” menu. This is very handy if you visit the same handful of web sites everyday because you would be able to open them all at once on separate tabs so you can navigate between them easily when you need to.
How to Create New Folders on your Bookmarks Toolbar?
So, if you have a lot of different bookmarks a good solution is to organize them by folder. You can come up with any categories as necessary: shopping, travel, news, social media, etc. It is really up to you what you call them and you can create as many folders as you need. In order to create a new folder, just follow these simple steps:
- Go to your bookmarks menu folder and right click on it. A new menu will display.
- From all the different options, select “New folder”. This will in turn make a dialog box display.
- In the new box, simply type in the name that you would like to give that new folder and click on the “Add” button.
Three easy steps are all it takes to create a new folder. So repeat them as many times as you need to in order to create as many folders as you need.
Once you have created your bookmark folders you will be able to organize your existing unsorted bookmarks and add new bookmarks as well if and when necessary. The only hard decision you will have to make is deciding what categories every bookmark fits into, but we will leave that up to you!
Go to the unsorted bookmarks folder or any other folder from which you would like to move bookmarks. Highlight them and drag them to the relevant bookmark folder you have created. That is all you will need to do.
We hope that you have found this tutorial useful. Why don’t you share your experience managing your bookmarks on Chrome or Firefox by leaving a message in the comments?