One of the most popular and widely used apps is Instagram. The success of Instagram probably stems from the fact that it combines something as new as a social network with something as traditional as a photo album. Instagram allows its users to take pictures or make videos chronicling their daily lives or special events and sharing those with followers instantly.
Instagram is one of the apps that is better suited for the way we live our lives now because it makes the most of the technology available. When mobile phones started to include cameras, the quality was far was ideal. However, with the technological improvements and the advent of smartphones and tablets, these cameras became as good as actual cameras.
The advantage, of course, is that we stopped having to carry cameras with us: remember the days when we’d go to a special event (a day out, a wedding, someone’s birthday) and realized our camera was out of film, or that it needed charging, or, worse still, we had forgotten it at home? It seems like all that happened a long time ago but you don’t need to dig deep into your memory to remember that. The reason why those problems seem ancient to us now it is because, thankfully, improvements in technology over the last few years have been so great that we have become accustomed to easier lives. Now all we need is our cell phone. And, since most of us always carry it with us, we never even have to remember to take a camera along. It is always there at the ready!
With Instagram, we can make otherwise plain or lackluster pictures into professional-looking works of art. In fact, many people use the app to take artistic pictures of landscapes, buildings, or even yummy-looking food. The way we achieve this professional look is by using the many filters and other tools available on Instagram.
Instagram also allows its users to share their pictures and videos on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr as well as letting them check in using Foursquare. But how about Kik? What happens if you want to send Instagram photos or video on Kik?
In theory, you can’t download pictures and video from Instagram. At least, there is not a clear way to do this from either the app or the website version. But, there are ways of downloading photos and video from Instagram and, in this article, we are going to show you how.
Before we do so, remember that there is a very good reason why Instagram doesn’t allow this as a matter of course. The app wants to protect its members’ privacy and usage rights, and this is why there is no downloading function within Instagram. Even with the methods we are about to show you, you will only be able to download your own pictures or video. This is reassuring as nobody else will be able to download your images and videos, either.
Save your Instagram Pictures and Video as You Post
This is by far the easiest and most convenient way to download your pictures and video from Instagram. The app allows you to change the settings so that either your images, your videos, or both are saved to your device as you post them. You won’t need to download any other apps to do this.
Here are the steps you need to follow to automatically enable Instagram to save your videos and pictures every time you post them:
- In the Instagram app, go to your profile.
- In the Options section, go to settings or hamburger menu (this depends on whether you use Android or iOS).
- Under settings or hamburger menu, you should be able select whether to allow the app to save original photos and/or save videos after posting. Just slide both or either according to your needs. So, if you just want to save your pictures, slide “save original photos”; and, if you wish to save all your videos, slide “save videos after posting”. If you want to save your pictures and your videos, just slide both.
Once you have followed these simple steps, your images and videos will be automatically saved to your device. Just be aware of your device’s storage capabilities, particularly if you take a lot of pictures or make a lot of videos using Instagram. You can always turn those options back off if you decide you don’t need to save every single photo and/or video you post. There are other options that allow you to just download exactly the pictures and video you want. This is what we will explain in the next section of this article.
Download Instagram Pictures and Video From your Phone or Mobile Device
“Technological prowess has only provided us with a more efficient means of going backwards.”
If, like more people, you use Instagram on your smart phone, your tablet, or any other mobile device, you have a few alternatives when it comes to downloading your pictures or videos.
Probably, the easiest way to download from Instagram using your phone is by using other apps that allow you to do just that. InstaSave is one of the apps you can use but there are others you could use depending on whether you use Android or iOS. Use the App Store or Google Play to search from one. They are all pretty similar and easy to use so we will just show you how InstaSave works on this article. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Go to Google Play and search for InstaSave.
- Download and install InstaSave.
- Open InstaSave and use your Instagram login details. This will allow InstaSave to access your Instagram account.
- Using the InstaSave search function (located at the bottom of your screen), find the picture/s or video you wish you download. You can save as many pictures or videos as you want just by tapping on them
- Once you have found the image or video, tap on the Save button (located at the top of your screen). You will be shown the location of your saves pictures or videos.
All you need to do then is visit the folder where the pictures and/or video has been saved so you can share them on Kik or elsewhere.
Download Instagram Pictures and Video On Your PC or Mac
Some people are not even aware that they can use Instagram on their PC or Mac. But, nothing could be easier! Instagram also just works like any website you can visit when you are sitting behind your computer. Just enter Instagram in your browser and log in to have access to your images and videos and those by your followers! This is a great option if you use Kik on your PC or on your Mac.
To download pictures and photos directly from Instagram to your PC or Mac you don’t even need to visit Instagram’s website. Instead, type Instaport in your browser or use a search engine to find it. The pictures and videos will be dowloaded in .zip files so you will need to unzip them when you eventually need to access them. Okay, so here are the steps you need to follow in order to save pictures and videos from Instagram using Instaport:
- Log into Instaport using your Instagram login details. This will allow Instaport to access your Instagram account.
- Once you have logged in, you will presented with a choice: either download all your photos and videos, or select which ones you wish to download. Choose wisely, particularly if storage is an issue for you or have too many images and videos.
- Make your section of the pictures and/or videos you wish to download.
- After you have selected the pictures and/or videos to download, choose a location to save them (the options depend on your computer). Remember where you save them so you can access them anytime you would like to share them!
These very simple steps will allow you to download all or just selected pictures and/or videos. Perhaps the best thing about Instaport is that you can download your whole album without having to click on every single image or video. If you use Instagram avidly, this will save you a lot of precious time!
So, Instagram only allows you to save pictures and videos while you are posting, and you need to physically allow the app to do this as we have seen. This is certainly the best and easiest way to do it but it can create storage problems as it is an all or nothing kind of situation: you either download every singly image and/or video you post, or you save nothing. Also, it doesn’t work with pictures and videos that are already there. If you change your settings now, for instance, Instagram will only save the pictures and/videos you take from now on.
If you, however, want to be able to download existing images or videos, you will have to use a third-party add which, although not ideal, is extremely easy to do if you follow this guide. Whichever method you use, you will be able to access you images and videos easily and share them on Kik or any other app or social media network beyond Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.