Undoubtedly, the arrival of cell phones changed our lives. When cell phones became popular, and long before that smart phones were ever invented, text messaging or SMS revolutionized the way many people communicate. With cell phones we could make and receive phone calls pretty much wherever we were. But, not only that, with text messages we could send and receive short communications that would make our life easier. Most people associate text messages with cell phones (or smart phones) and they are definitely not wrong at all. But, what many people do not realize is that now you can also check your text messages online quite easily.
In this article we will explain how anyone can do and give you some useful (we hope!) tips on how to do this. All you will need is, of course, a cell phone and a computer.
Text messages have become so popular that some people (and we may or may not be speaking from personal experience here) prefer to text sooner than to make a phone call even with their closest friends.
The great thing about text messages is that you get them delivered to your phone automatically so that you do not need to log in or remember any password in order to check any urgent messages. They would all be there in your cell phone almost as soon as they have been sent for you to check. Unless you leave your phone behind, for some strange reason, it is almost impossible to miss any text messages any more.
Why Would You Ever Need to Check Your Text Messages Online?
So, if you are reading this you may at this point be wondering why would anyone ever need to check his or her texts online. After all, if cell phones or smart phones are so convenient to use and we almost always carry them with us wherever we go, when exactly would we ever need to check our messages online? (or you may be reading this article precisely because you want to check your text messages online, in which case you should just go ahead and skip over this section and go straight for the next one).
There are a number of scenarios when you might need to be able to check your texts or SMS online. Here are just a few in case you are struggle to find any usefulness to this article:
- You left your cell phone behind: for example you are at work and your phone is back at home.
- Your cell phone or smart phone battery is dead: you may have your cell phone with you but if the battery is totally dead and you do not have the right charger with you, it will not be any good to you at all.
- You are in a situation where you can not access your cell phone: for example, you are at work or at a school using a computer or a mobile device but are, for whatever reason, not allowed or able to whip out your cell phone and check your messages.
- You have lost your cell phone: perhaps you left your phone on a commuting train or in the back of taxi or, even worse, you do not actually remember where you left it but you do know or at least suspect that you have lost it.
- Your cell phone has been stolen: sadly this happens and if you are unlucky enough to have this happened to you the first thing you should do is report it to the authorities. But, once you have reported to the authorities and have followed their advice, and you still need to check your messages. If you have followed the right procedures, though, it should not take long for your cell phone to become disabled so you will not be able to check your text messages for very long, unless your cell phone is somehow recovered and given back to you.
- Your cell phone has become damaged: one of the most common problems when it comes to cell phones or smart phone, how much we use them and the fact that we take them everywhere with us is that they are extremely susceptible to getting easily damaged. Cell phones, and particularly, smart phones tend to be very resilient so it is actually how hard to get them damaged beyond usage. Even when we crack the display screen or drop our cell phone (and, again, this happens very often), we are normally able to keep using it, even right after the damage has happened. If, however, you do manage to damage it beyond usage, you could still go online to check your SMS messages.
These are just some of the main scenarios when you may want to know how to check your text messages online. If you know of other possible scenarios or would like to share your experience with other readers, please leave a message in the comment section of this site.
You’ve Got A Message!
There are many different ways to actually check and read your phone text messages online. A lot of this depends on your cell phone company or service provider. Also, different services may be available in different countries.
If you are reading this from the United States, the answer will depend on your company. What follows is a list of the different ways in which you can make sure you can check your cell phone text messages on line organized by phone company:
If you are a Verizon customer, checking your text messages on line could not be any easier. The company provides this service free of charge to all their subscribers. If you are with Verizon and would like to check your text messages on line, simply follow these instructions:
- Go to Verizon website.
- Click on the “sign in / register” link located on the upper right hand side of your screen. You will be redirected to a new screen.
- Enter your login details (if you have not registered prior to this just click on “sign in” and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once you have logged in, you will be presented with a menu. Click on the option called “check text status”. You will be able to see your text messages and check whether they have been successfully delivered, etc.
Apart from this, this service allows subscribers to send and receive messages online.
As part of the services provided by AT&T to their cell phones customers is a service that allows them to check their text messages online.
This requires download, as the AT&T solution is not browser based.
Here is what you need to do in order to use this service:
- Got to AT&T’s website: att.com
- From all the different options on the tool bar click on support. This will redirect you without losing the toolbar, which is handy because it means that you can always use any other the other services they offer rather easily without getting lost in their web site.
- There will be plenty of options for you to click on. Just click on wireless. This will then offer you a host of other options.
- Click on Features and settings.
- Finally, click on “Messaging features”.
From then on it is just really a matter of following the onscreen instructions.
Unfortunately, T-Mobile does not provide an official way to check your text messages online. If you are a T-Mobile customer and would like to check your text messages online, you might need to use a third party service at your own risk. Something we would not recommend at all because of the possible risks involved such as someone hacking into your cell phone.
Also unfortunately, Sprint does not allow their customers to check their text messages or to use this facility online. If you are a Sprint customer, you can read the previous section on T-Mobile as pretty much the same information would apply to you.
Undoubtedly, there are many unofficial ways to check your text messages online. A quick search online will offer lots of possible alternatives. We would strongly recommend against using any of those services but we recognize that sometimes it may be just too tempting or even necessary to make use of some of them. As we have seen in this article some companies do offer their customers a bona fide and totally secure way of doing this but others do not. If you are with one of the companies, which do not currently offer a service that would allow you to check your texts online, and you think this is something you could potentially benefit greatly from, our advice would be that you approach them directly and give them the relevant feedback. Who knows, if enough people demand this service, maybe more and more companies would decide to include them as part of the package of available services or as an option.
If you have used any of the methods described in this article or have any advice for people who would like to be able to check their SMS online, please go ahead and leave a comment for other readers.