Music is an integral part of life and the Spotify online web player gives us all the music we need in life. All around us, you can hear sounds and songs that reach us in different ways. Technology has revolutionized the production and consumption of music on multiple levels.
We have moved away from CDs and gone towards iPods, computers and phones. Streaming music online has probably become one of the most popular ways to listen to music. You can pick and choose what songs you want to listen to or a specific radio station that is based off of one particular singer or band. There are plenty of streaming sites, such as Apple Music, Pandora, Tidal and Spotify. These are just a few, but the one I want to focus on is my favorite streaming service…Spotify.
If you have Spotify, then you understand how great it is. If you are fairly new to Spotify then don’t worry, you’ll find out how great it is. And if you don’t have Spotify, you should consider downloading it and creating an account.
Perks of Spotify
You can get the free version or the premium version. Spotify premium is $14.99, but if you are a student then you can get 50 percent off of that price. So what is on Spotify? Features include:
- Music: Choose over millions of songs to play. Listen to your favorites or discover music you fall in love with.
- Playlists: You can play already made playlists or create your own.
- New Releases: Hear the latest and most popular songs that have recently been released.
- Easily search what you want to listen to through the search bar.
- Browse the latest charts and brand new releases to find great playlists and songs to jam out to.
- Spotify is available on many different devices: mobile, computer, tablet, car, speaker, Playstation, TV, Android Wear and Web Player.
What do you get with Spotify Premium?
- Play on-demand
- Listen offline
- No ads
- High quality audio
You can access the link to the web player through Spotify’s main website. If you are looking for it, click here. At the bottom of the page, there is a list of all the different devices you can choose from. The web player is underlined, because you can click on it and it is a link to the sign up page. Once you get to the sign up page, it gives you three options. You can sign up with Facebook, sign up with your email or if you already have an account then you can sign in by clicking “Log in.” If you want to sign up with your email then follow these steps:
- Click on “sign up with email.”
- It will give you a list of information that you need to fill out.
- Insert your username.
- Insert your email.
- Confirm your email.
- Create a password.
- Put in your date of birth.
- Choose the correct gender that pertains to you.
- Agree to the terms and conditions of Spotify.
- You can choose to receive emails from Spotify or opt-out of it.
- Click on the little box that says you are not a robot and then put in the information it asks for, so the site knows whether or not you really are a robot.
- Finally, click on “sign up” and there you go! The web player is all yours to use. Enjoy the music, because there’s plenty to choose from.
If you log in with Facebook, follow these steps:
- Click on “log in with Facebook.”
- It will ask you to log in to your Facebook account.
- Choose if it is ok for Spotify to have access to your Facebook information.
- You are now signed up with your Facebook account. It’s that simple.
So what happens once I’m inside the web player?
On the left side of the screen, there is a bar with options. These options include: search, browse, radio, your music, follow and at the bottom there is your profile. When you click on search, it lets you type in the name of the song or the artist.
When you click on browse, it shows a lists of charts, genres & moods, an overview, new releases and discover.
- Charts: You can choose between the U.S. charts, global charts or you can pick the top 50 in other countries.
- Genres & Moods: This gives you a list of genres, such as pop, indie, rock, rap and much more. Or you can choose from a list like: sleep, romance, dinner, focus and many other ones.
- Overview: It is a mix of all the options you can choose from. It sounds exactly like the name, an overview of all the things Spotify has to offer.
- New releases: This option shows you all the recently released albums.
- Discover: This tab shows you recommendations that Spotify has chosen for you, based on what you have already been listening to. It also shows recommendations based on certain artists you have listened to.
If you click on radio, this is what you see:
- You are able to choose radio stations based on specific artists. It is kind of like Pandora.
The tab that says “Your Music” shows you this:
- Every playlist you have created.
- You can save songs to each playlist and listen to them at your own pleasure.
- You can look at the songs you have saved.
- Albums you have recently listened to.
- Artists that you have recently listened to.
If you click on “follow,” you will see the following:
- You can choose to follow friends from Facebook.
- Follow tastemakers (artists).
- Spotify has a recommended section that shows people they think you might like.
Finally if you click on your profile, it gives you these options:
- An overview of your recently played music.
- Public playlists that you have created.
- Followers – anyone who follows one of your public playlists will be visible for you to see.
There is a settings option at the very bottom of the left side tab. It looks like a little gear. This allows you to choose a language, enable a private session (no one can see what you are listening to), share activity on Facebook, share your activity with followers on Spotify, automatically make new playlists, show top artists you have been listening to, play URLS in desktop app and scrobble to Last.fm. If you want to upgrade your account, you have the option to do so.
The web player is a great way to listen to music if you don’t feel like downloading the desktop version. It isn’t an app, so it doesn’t take up space on your hard drive. All you have to do is log in through the web site and keep it open while you are surfing the web and doing whatever it is you’re doing. Plus, you can log in anywhere. Trust me, it is nice to not have to haul your computer or laptop around. All you have to do is have access to the internet on any device.
You can use playlist links. Instead of fully signing in, all you have to do is have the link and it will take you right where you need to be. How convenient is that? Thank goodness for links and the internet. Sometimes we hear a song and want to sing-a-long, but we don’t know the lyrics. Well with the web player you can see the lyrics…making it that much easier to sing and jam out to your favorite tunes.
So what’s stopping you from taking full advantage of the Spotify web player? It is my favorite music streaming service out there. I use it almost everyday so I can listen to it while I do homework, getting ready for the day or pretty much any other activity that allows me to listen to music. Spotify is a top contender in the streaming service industry. They are constantly ranked as one of the best and it is extremely popular among many people. No matter what version you are using on whatever device you have, it gives a stellar experience. I use the free version and it really isn’t bad at all. The ads are not too annoying and they aren’t long. It’s always good to not have to listen to long and boring ads. I love the media, but boy do I hate ads!
Spotify is easy and simple to use. It has a sleek look and isn’t overwhelming. Sometimes streaming services are not neatly organized. You don’t have to worry about that with Spotify. You have millions of songs to choose from and hours upon hours of music. If an artist hasn’t allowed Spotify to use their music, then when you go to their profile the songs will be greyed out and you can’t choose them. There will be a little banner saying that the streaming service is working on getting their music.
So all in all, Spotify is a great choice. If you are in the need of a reliable service, then this is the one to pick. I’ve used Pandora and other ones, but I stand by this one. Spotify has opened me up to many new artist that I have fallen in love with. So if you haven’t already…go create an account!