So various and frequent have our streaming media choices become that it can be hard to know exactly where to turn for the best service. Further complicating this is pricing, which has led to certain less known services trying to beat their competitors back by providing free access to streamed movies and television shows. ShowBox and its difficult-to-find ShowBox APK have been a huge part of this proliferation of free access, and we’re here with a guide that will show you how to find it and download it…as well as provide several reasons as to why you might not want to do so. After all, is anything ever truly free?
We may be saddled with an abundance of choice, but let’s be clear–streaming media is the most preferred way for people to access their video media on a daily basis. YouTube. Netflix. Hulu. Amazon Prime Video. HBO Now. This is only the tip of the iceberg, and dozens of other services can be found and registered for, all of them existing at various price points that correlate with the type of content available on each. If you’re looking for a good source for films and television, though, you won’t find many directions to turn in that don’t charge some form of monthly subscription fee.
Online digital media is a tricky thing. It’s not an easy topic to navigate because there’s just so damn much of it. If you frequent YouTube, you’re used to being able to access any content on that massive platform at no cost whatsoever. Occasionally, you’ll have to sit through an advertisement or two. What you’ll find there, however, is different from what you’d find on the likes of Hulu or Netflix. One focuses on up and coming television, the other on films and television series, but both come with a monthly subscription fee.
“I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained” – Walt Disney Company
It’s not hard to see why many people are constantly seeking out free solutions for the media that they’d usually be charged for, but therein lies a discussion we need to have about illegal downloading.
See, there’s no legitimate way to obtain movies and television shows without paying for them. On a few rare occasions, you might stumble upon a brief access window for particular media on YouTube, but otherwise, these types of content remain relegated to premium subscription services. Why? There are actually quite a few different answers, but the most important are that this content has cost quite a lot to make and distribute!
Enter ShowBox, the app-based movie and television sharing service that promises free, top-quality access to new movies and TV that you’d otherwise have to pay for. If that sounds a bit sketchy just from my description, then good. It is sketchy. It’s always been sketchy. That hasn’t stopped many users from getting onboard with it, though.
We won’t ever condone illegal downloading here, but for education’s sake, we can show you how to find and download the ShowBox APK online. Be aware, however, that even that carries with it some substantial risk.
What is ShowBox?
Most people who haven’t used ShowBox before don’t quite understand how it works, so before we get to the hunt for the app itself, let’s talk about this. It’s a far cry from the usual streaming media services that you’ll find online, so if you’re expecting a Netflix clone, toss that idea right out the window.
Whereas Netflix hosts a huge quantity of video media itself, ShowBox hosts none. That’s right. None. What it does provide is access to links, through which you can stream certain movies and television shows using “mirrors.” Because of this, ShowBox sits just outside of legal reach. It can’t be touched because it’s not actually doing any of the illegal hosting or sharing that would otherwise get it in trouble.
Where does the blame fall, then? It falls on you, should you ever be caught using it, and should the owner of said content ever feel like prosecuting. If you were ever under the illusion that streaming copyrighted media without paying for it was any different than downloading, we can abandon that hope right now.
This all culminates in the reason that you won’t find ShowBox on any authorized app stores–it’s primarily a means by which people access illegal downloading. If you want access to it, you’re going to first need to find the APK (application) file online, and then “sideload” it onto an Android device. If you’re on iOS, you’re not entirely out of luck, but you’re going to need to jailbreak your phone first. I recommend that even less than using ShowBox in the first place.
Finding ShowBox Online
Just as you won’t find Showbox on any authorized app stores, you won’t find a consistent place to download it online. The APK is frequently updated but never hosted in one, single place, which means that you’ll need to use a search engine to find the most recent version of the app. Before doing that, however, take a couple of precautions to keep yourself safe:
- Open an incognito tab in your browser. This will make your online activity harder to follow, and means that your browser won’t log your browsing history.
- Make sure that you’re running up-to-date antivirus and anti-malware software. These unauthorized apps tend to be cesspits for malware and other malicious code that can seriously harm your computer or mobile device.
Once you’ve done both of these things, enter “ShowBox APK 4.65.” This will lead you towards the most recent working version of the ShowBox app. There are more recent version numbers out there, but popular opinion says that they’re not quite worth your time yet.
Similarly, we can’t provide you a direct download link through this article, either. This isn’t just because we don’t condone illegal downloading, but also because links are constantly going up and being taken down all over the internet. A link that works one day might not work the next, and we’re only in the business of providing persistent, high-quality resources.
Downloading and Installing Showbox
When you do manage to find a working download, you can either grab it on your computer or Android device. If you’re browsing on your computer for the sake of ease, then it’s easy enough to just migrate the file to your mobile device, after.
First, you’re going to have to enable unauthorized application usage on your device, which essentially opens you up to apps that didn’t come from the Google Play store. Go to Settings on your Android device and tap on Security. Next, tap on Uknown Sources and then scroll down until you find the option to enable third-party applications.
After that’s done, simply find the ShowBox APK that you downloaded and give it a tap. You should be able to install it automatically, the same way that you would any other app.
Once it’s installed, you’ll have access to all of the links that ShowBox is currently offering to new movies and television. Please keep in mind that illegal downloading and streaming of content can land you in hot water, and the developers of the ShowBox app aren’t going to come to your defense in the least.
If the risks associated with ShowBox are enough to turn you away from the temptation, there are some pretty great deals that you can snag with other premium streaming services online. The only trick to finding the right one is figuring out which has the type of content that you most want to watch.
- If you’re looking for a good mix of content across a wide variety of genres, go ahead and give Netflix a try. Basic memberships begin at $9.99/month, which is less than it costs to go out for a single meal! You won’t have access to the newest releases, but thanks to the rotating movies and television shows added to the service every month, you’re not going to run out of things to watch.
- If currently-airing television is more your thing, take it to Hulu! It’s less expensive than Netflix when it comes to the most basic paid membership, and it’ll give you access to television both new and old, as well as a huge portion of classic films in the Criterion Collection.
- Are you a frequent online shopper? Consider becoming a member of Amazon Prime. You’ll get access to Amazon Prime Video, which is comparable to Netflix in the amount of video media that you’ll be able to watch. Movies, shows, documentaries, and more. It costs $99/year, and you’ll also get access to free two-day shipping for all kinds of products ordered on Amazon. If you’re looking for a hot bargain, this is one of the best that you’re going to find online.
- Hot for Game of Thrones? True Detective? Six Feet Under? Every other HBO show under the sun? Many people don’t know about HBO’s recently launched premium streaming service, HBO Now, but for $14.99/month, you can get access to the entire collection of HBO original programming, as well as all of the films that the premium cable channel plans on airing during a given season. That’s dozens of movies that are constantly being changed up for new offerings, along with one of the best sets of original television programming in the world. Try spending less than $14.99 the next time you go out to the theater. It’s not so expensive in comparison, is it?
I’ll say what I can to dissuade users from hopping on board with ShowBox, but regardless of that, new users are taking advantage of it every day. Using our guide, you should be plentifully ready to download and install the ShowBox APK on your Android device, but always be careful about where you’re downloading it and how you’re using it.
If you still have questions about the process, leave them in the comments below! Happy viewing, readers!