It is amazing how far YouTube has grown in recent years. Both the aesthetic quality of its videos and of their content has improved greatly. Also, the content is so wide that you can now watch not only a phenomenally large amount of different videos but videos that cover almost any topic. So-called “old media” has joined in now as well so you get videos from the likes of CBS, NBC, or PBS as much as videos by “YouTubers” who create content specifically for the site. The one problem with YouTube is that all too often videos are removed from it. One of the best and most effective solutions to this problem is to covert YouTube videos into MP3, MP4, WAV or iTunes.
In this article we will talk about the different ways in which you can convert YouTube videos to WAV and other formats but we will begin by highlighting the main reasons why you may want to consider doing this, in the first place.
Why Convert YouTube Videos to WAN?
In the introduction to this article we mentioned that one of the possible drawbacks of YouTube is that videos can (and often) are removed. This can happen quickly as when a video is published and a mere few hours or days later it is removed either by the uploader or by YouTube (the latter case would almost always be due for copyright infringement). Other times, however, videos are removed suddenly even after years. So, you cannot ever guess whether a video is more or less likely to be removed. One thing is for sure; you will never get any notice telling you whether a video is about to be removed.
Apart for the almost eminent risk that potentially any YouTube video be removed at any time without warning, there are other reasons why you may want to convert them to WAN. You may need to be able to play a YouTube video somewhere with no Internet or Wi Fi connection, for example, at a conference or while traveling. Also, you may want to use footage from one or more YouTube video to edit your own video.
If you need to convert a YouTube to MP3 for any of the reasons we have just highlighted or any others, you have come to the right place. In the remainder of this article, we will explain how you will about doing this.
How To Convert YouTube Videos With Freemake.com
The first method we will use involves a piece of free software called Free Make.
You can download Freemake from their own website. After you have done that, the just follow these simple of steps and, before you know it, you would have saved and converted any YouTube video:
- Using the computer where you have previously downloaded and installed the Free Make software, launch your web browser.
- Type in the YouTube web address and find the video that you would like to convert and save.
- Copy the exact URL of the video that you would like to download and convert.
- Then, you will have to convert the audio file. That you will have to convert the sound of the video first before you can go on and download the video file itself. To convert the audio file, you will need to click the “paste URL: button. Then you will be prompted to choose the quality of the sound. Once you have decided on this you will need to select “convert to MP3” and, finally, click on the “download and convert” button.
- Once you have converted the audio file, all that there will be left to convert will be the audio file. To do this, simply click on the “convert” button.
Converting a video with Free Make is easy and it only takes a few clicks. The actual time a video will take to convert to MP4 using this method will depend on the length and quality of the video. It should, however, not take longer than a few minutes at most.
How To Convert YouTube Videos With Online Video Converter
Unlike the previous method, this one does not require any downloads. This makes it into a great alternative, particularly if you are using someone else’s computer or if you are not comfortable with downloading new software for whatever reason.
All you will need to do in order to convert and save a video using this method is to go to onlinevideoconverter.com and follow these simple steps:
- Go to YouTube and find the video you would like to convert.
- Then copy the URL of the video in question and paste it or enter it to onlinevideoconverter.com
- Then you will have how you would like to convert and save the video. For this you will need to click on “format” and choose both the audio and video formats you would like this video to download as. If you cannot find your idea audio format, then click on “more settings”. This will give you more options for changing the audio format.
- The next step is choosing whether you would like to download the whole video (Online Video Converter will do this by default) or if you would like to decide on the duration of the WAN. If you would like to change the duration of the video you will be able to do easily by unticking the option that says “start of video” and “end of video” and then set up the duration.
- Once you have done all of that, just click on the “start” button. This will redirect you to a different page.
- Once on the download page, you will be able to see the size of the file you will be downloading and converting. This should help you decide whether you would like to go ahead with this, at least in terms of using up space on your computer (of course you could save the file in the cloud or in an external drive if space should be an issue). If you want to go ahead with the conversion, simply click on the “download” button.
- Finally, you will be presented with a QR code (if you use WeChat or a similar instant chatting service you will be familiar with this). If you scan this code with your smart phone or mobile device, you will be able to download the converted video straight into that device, instead.
As with the Free Make method, it will take a while for the video and audio file to convert, depending on the length and the quality of the video in question. The advantages of using the Online Video Converter are a) that you do not need to download any software, and b) that you could also download the converted video into a mobile device.
How To Convert YouTube Videos With An Extension
The third and final method to converting YouTube videos involves getting an extension. Before we go ahead and explain everything that is involved in this method, we should point out that it only works for the following web browsers:
As long as you use any of those web browsers you will be able to get the extension and start converting and downloading videos directly from YouTube, without any restrictions.
So, just launch one of those browsers and follow these straightforward instructions:
- Search for the Tamper Monkey extension and install it. Do not forgot to install the script as well. If you do not install the script, the extension will not work.
- Restart the browser where you have installed the extension.
- Once the browser has been restarted, go to YouTube.
- Search for the video you would like to convert.
- Once you have found the video on YouTube play it.
- Click on the OVC icon that looks like an orange motion picture camera. You will then be prompted to choose the format in which you want to convert the YouTube video.
Converting video with this extension of probably the most straightforward way of doing this. It certainly gives you few options, and therefore it requires fewer clicks, than some of the other methods we have gone through in this article. The actual amount of time that it requires for the conversion of the video is more or less the same as the other methods, though.
Converting the video with an extension, like doing so with Online Video Converter, also gives you the possibility to using a QR code. So, if you would rather download the converted video file in your smart phone or any other mobile device, instead of in your computer, all you will need to do is to scan the QR that displays with your mobile device camera.
As you can see converting YouTube videos to WAV is not only easy but anybody without any previous knowledge would be able to do it in a really short time. There are different ways of going about this and we trust you will be able to find one that suits your needs from our article. If you have tried any or all of the methods that we have gone through and have some feedback, why not leave us a comment in the section below?