The Walking Dead is one of the most popular shows on television, and what’s not to like? There’s blood and guts, zombies, bad guys, and some really incredible kills that makes the viewer scream and cheer. In my house, we have Walking Dead viewing parties and make a night of it.
We watch the show, then watch Talking Dead right after and then we all discuss the episode and our thoughts and insights into what happened on it. But for those people who either cannot watch it live and are waiting for it to start streaming, or are one of those people who started watching it late, you are in luck: Netflix has the first five seasons currently available to stream. But what about season 6?
I have an idea for a movie called ‘The Walken Dead’ which is about a town where, instead of zombies, everyone becomes Chris Walken. – Robin Williams
DON’T WORRY: This article is 100% spoiler free.
Season 6 on Netflix
Season 6 of Walking Dead ended with a massive cliff hanger, and many viewers, like myself, want to re-watch that whole season to try to figure out what actually happened during the finale.
Season 6 aired October 11, and the season finale aired April 3. Sadly, Netflix does not have season 6 of The Walking Dead available to stream… yet. But there is good news. Netflix usually puts the latest season up a little before the new season begins airing on TV. Rumor has it that Season 7 of Walking Dead will start in October, probably around October 9 because previous season premieres have aired during New York Comic-Con, happening this year October 6-9.
So that means that Netflix will more than likely post season 6 sometime in September so people can either get caught up or remind themselves as to what happened during that season. The Walking Dead seasons 1-5, are available online and that provides ample hours of viewing pleasure. With season 6 becoming available probably sometime in September, what else is there to watch if you’re already caught up with Walking Dead?
What else is there to watch if you’re caught up on Walking Dead?
Let’s say you’re like me and watch The Walking Dead every Sunday night and are waiting for season 6 on Netflix to start streaming to get caught up for the big premiere in October. What other apocalyptic shows and movies are there to hold you over? I love watching scary movies and TV shows, which is why Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are my two favorite TV shows. Here is a quick little guide for movies and TV shows if you are waiting for season 6 of The Walking Dead to be available to stream:
- The Mummy– This movie is about a team-up between an adventurer/archaeologist (Brendan Fraser) and a British librarian (Rachel Weisz) who accidentally wakes up a cursed mummy in Egypt. This is a classic movie and it isn’t necessarily scary, but it is action packed and is pretty humorous. If you’re wanting something ominous but not too scary, this movie is for you. It is also a good love story, so it can go with date night. The Mummy was released in 1999.
- Jericho (2 seasons)– Jericho is definitely on my list of my favorite TV shows. It is about a small town in Kansas after nuclear bombs were dropped all throughout the country. It follows a family and their fight to try to survive. It is family friendly, but also very suspenseful and even a little sad. If you’re searching for a TV show with nukes and small town survival, this show definitely fits the bill. This aired on CBS from 2006-2008. It was cancelled after it’s first season but fans were so outraged that it was renewed for only another season. This series has 29 episodes for you to binge watch.
- Z Nation (2 seasons)– Z Nation is a TV show about a group of people who are trying to figure out a cure to the zombie outbreak. It is somewhat scary, but has a very similar feel to The Walking Dead. What isn’t to like about murdering zombies with guns, axes, and machetes? So, if you’re in the mood for another zombie TV show, you’re in luck with Z Nation. This aired on Syfy channel starting in 2014. This series has 28 episodes so far.
- Nightmares in Red, White and Blue– This is a documentary about scary movies and how far scary movies have gotten. As a huge scary movie buff I loved watching the documentary and learning about films, particularly Night of the Living Dead. What is so cool about this movie is that it explores movies that happened before WWII all the way up to current scary movies like Saw. If you have wanted to learn more about some of your favorite scary movies, this is the documentary for you. This was released in 2010.
- Creep– This movie genuinely scared me. It is a found footage film (my favorite films right now) about a cameraman and a father. The movie definitely delivers a creep factor, and it had me covering my eyes at multiple different points during the movie. This movie is not for kids, and is scary. Needless to say it is not for the faint-of-heart, so if you cannot handle suspense or scary movies, turn away now. If you like scary movies like me, this movie is definitely for you. This was released in 2014.
- Helix (2 seasons)- Helix is an awesome TV show about a virus and the outbreak of that virus. It has a very similar feel to Z Nation, and is very well done. It has a similar feeling to the movie Contagion, and is a good watch for those who enjoy the virus pandemic-type shows. Helix was aired on Syfy from 2014-2015 and ended after it’s second season. Helix ended it’s run with 26 episodes.
- Monsters– Monsters is an awesome alien/monster flick sure to entertain just about anyone, even those who are not scary movie fans. It is sci-fi, and is decently suspenseful, but is exceptionally good. It is about aliens that invaded Earth, and a rescue mission for a wealthy businessman’s daughter. The movie has awesome cinematography, and the characters are very believable. If you’re in the mood for a good monster movie, this is the one for you. Monsters was released in 2010 at SXSW.
- Terra Nova (1 season)– Terra Nova is a TV show about time travel and dinosaurs, two awesome combinations. It follows a family and their time travel back to ancient times with dinosaurs and bad guys. The show is very fun to watch, even if it only has just 1 season. It originally aired on Fox and was cancelled after just 1 season. Terra Nova has 13 episodes.
- Ascension (1 season)- Ascension is a sci-fi TV special that is about life on a space ship cruising through the universe. The show is very suspenseful and has a mystery behind it. This is one of, if not, my favorite mini-series because the cinematography and plot were really enjoyable to watch. Ascension aired on Syfy in 2014. It has 6 episodes.
- Minions– After you have watched all those scary movies and TV shows you might need a break from all the scary things. Minions is a great movie to calm you down and make you laugh. Minions is absolutely adorable, and has certainly helped me calm down after watching scary movies by myself. Minions was released in theaters in 2015.
The movies and TV shows I listed are only a handful of the many great shows to watch on Netflix. Some honorable mentions are also: The 100, Supernatural, The Den, Dark Skies, Ghost Adventures, Revolution, Lost, Outcasts, and The X-Files. All of those shows are apocalyptic or scary, but just did not necessarily interest me as much as some of the others I listed did.
Let’s say you binge watch everything I just listed and still have months to wait for The Walking Dead. What now? As some people know, The Walking Dead is actually based on a comic book with the same name. So you have watched all of The Walking Dead up to season 5 on Netflix, you have watched those movies and shows I mentioned and are still craving The Walking Dead, I recommend reading the comic books. Robert Kirkman is an absolutely incredible writer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed comparing the comic books to the TV show.
The comics will also be really handy to read when season 6 is available for streaming because we will meet quite a few characters from the comics in the TV show. The comics are also fun to read to see how much the show deviated from the comics. As I stated earlier, I will not post any spoilers, but there are a lot of ways the TV show deviated from the comic books it is based on.
I look forward to when The Walking Dead is available for streaming to try to refresh my brain for season 7 to start up. While there has not been a set release date, the rumor and thought is that season 6 of The Walking Dead will be available for streaming sometime in September, a little before when season 7 will begin in October. Netflix does have seasons 1-5, which gives plenty of hours of The Walking Dead if you simply can’t get enough out of that TV show.
If you think of any TV shows or movies I didn’t list, write them down in the comments!